6.25.2005

New Addiction

Photographing flowers - I don't seem to be able to walk past my garden these days without grabbing a few close-ups. Maybe it's my subconscious, preparing for the cold, grey days of winter. Whatever the underlying cause, I find I'm fascinated by colours and textures - so delicate, but lush and sensual at the same time.

A few of my current favourites:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Nasturtiums - bought on a whim, neglected and unplanted for almost a month, and still they reward me with their cheerful faces.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
A miniature rose (the flower itself is less than 2" across), one of four purchased at the supermarket, also on a whim (to be honest, 95% of my garden consists of spur-of-the-moment acquisitions). I thought they were too delicate to be planted outdoors, but they're thriving. All have doubled in height, and are starting to bloom again. This is the first to flower - the others are lavender, deep red and yellow.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
A close-up of the rose in my front garden. I shot this blind, but love the result - the petals look so fragile, so ephemeral. They're remarkably tough for all their diaphanous appearance.


PS. I haven't forgotten my promise to show you my lilies - I'm waiting for the two newest ones to bloom, then will post the lot.