11.24.2004

Scary

I work for a company that designs and distributes building supplies -
door knobs, faucets, towel bars. Most of the manufacturing is done in
China, which results in the usual problems with translation.

Today I was asked to proofread an installation manual for a faucet.
The original directions were provided by the factory, and translated
by a third party. The results were, not surprisingly, somewhat
incoherent, containing helpful instructions like "Mounting nut onto
shank underside of sink." On the detailed drawing of all the parts, at
least half the parts shown were not referred to anywhere in the
instructions. And the instructions referred to half a dozen parts that
didn't appear in the diagram (including the aforementioned mounting
nut and shank).

So I've been asked to rewrite the installation manual. I have an
unassembled faucet and a red pen to help me. The closest I've come to
actual plumbing experience is listening to my father cursing from the
crawlspace when the septic field seal blew at the cabin.

And I begin to understand why the first thing men do when they start a
project is throw away the instruction sheet.